Monday, February 6, 2012

Sweetheart Ball Recap

“Always dream big. You can make it happen.” – Sarah Burke


by Jewel Allen

On about four hours of sleep, I got up on Feb. 4 bleary-eyed. It was a little stressful to have a full morning, then go to our youngest’s Junior Jazz game, and finally, tie up any loose ends before the Sweetheart Ball. But we managed.

At four o’clock p.m., we arrived at the museum where the DJ was already waiting. Our museum contact opened the doors, and we got to work.

While setting up the silent auction items, I realized I hadn’t printed three of the bid sheets. That’s what happens when you print things at three a.m. I rushed home, leaving my husband to be in charge. When I returned, crossing my fingers I hadn’t forgotten anything else, the tables were already dressed up with black triangle cloths on white linen, the pinwheel posies were set up, and the table numbers on. Very classy.


I had the kids blow up red balloons for the dance floor, which was a fun suggestion by a neighbor. The food was set up and the photo backdrops were ready. Bring on the guests!


After a little trickle, most people arrived a few minutes after six. Some dressed in jaw-dropping, glittering finery, some in simpler dresses, some in jeans, but all looked wonderful and ready for a good time. Many of them browsed through the museum and the silent auction, and then had their photos taken by our amazing friend Colleen Walch, who really should open her own photo studio, she’s that good.

Instead of having people dish up by table, we just had them get up when they were ready, and that seemed to work well. I loved having a buffet line. People could get what they want, and their food was steaming hot when they were ready to eat. Ultimate Catering prepared a savory beef roast that was wonderfully tender, whipped flavorful potatoes, candied carrots, a baby spinach salad and cheesecake. Natalie Ashby, a talented neighbor, serenaded us on the violin.

Partway through dinner, Wesley stood up and announced the sponsors. Over the last few years, Wesley has not only grown physically, but also has matured socially. In the past, he would have been petrified and maybe refused to do the honors. But maybe with student government experience and after having to sell tickets and ask sponsors for donations the last couple months, he’s really shed a lot of his shyness. I sat there, with heart bursting with pride over a wonderful boy who proved that “If there’s a will, there’s a way.”

We closed the “Fun Dates” silent auction at 7:30. Some of the most popular items were the dinner & movie packages, the getaways, horse trail ride and the day sail on the Great Salt Lake. As expected, some people hung out by their last bids, looking ready to tackle someone. I’m happy to report there were no serious injuries.


Finally, it was time for dancing. Unfortunately, we could only turn off half of the lights – there were only two switches for the entire building – but no matter, I pulled Drew onto the dance floor to start the dancing officially.


Some of the popular dances were the line dances. It was fun to see normally reserved couples dancing with goofy abandon. We kicked the balloons up in the air, and laughed during YMCA (Which I finally nailed! After all these years!), made friends, went back for more cheesecake and refreshing lemon water.

Our deejay, who used to be a breakdancer, treated us to a dance to Michael Jackson’s “Beat it”. His 16 year old daughter convinced Wesley to dance to “Tonight”, to cheers from the audience.

All in all, a fabulous night! Thanks to everyone; seriously, we couldn’t have done it without you.

P.S. Some people joked, “Hey, maybe your son could go to DC again next year, so we could do this again.” Also, my daughter seemed amazed at the glamorous evening (come to think of it, she’d never really attended any of my fundraisers before), and said maybe it’d be fun to put on a similar fundraiser for a trip she wants to do next year.

I put my fingers in my ears and said, “I can’t hear you!” Okay, not really. I smiled and said, ha ha, we’ll have to see. And yes, we’ll have to see. Right now I’m just glad the event is finally over. No more pinwheels and name cards and three o’clock a.m. bedtimes for a while.

But hey, I’m always up for a fun party.

Click HERE for the story behind the Sweetheart Ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment